Friday, December 6, 2013

Wow!  It has been over a year since I last blogged!  So much has happened...

I am back teaching kindergarten!  I am so thankful for the time I had to watch my babies grow these past six years!  My little guy, started full day kindergarten in August.  He has an incredible teacher and is such a little reader and writer now.  Just the other day, he wrote out the lyrics to "What does the fox say?"  What a funny boy!  My eight year old twins are in third grade.  That is so hard for me to believe.  My first year teaching, way back in 2000, I had a great class of third graders.  But they seemed so old.  I had a student who was immersed in Harry Potter every free moment.  Now, third graders don't seem nearly as intimidating as they did then.

I got off topic for a moment, I am now teaching full day kindergarten.  I have a diverse class of 22 students who are from all over the world and speak many different languages.  This population, is much different than previous classes that I have taught.  But, some things remain the same...zoophonics is still an effective and fun way to teach letters and sounds, students still need to develop problem solving skills, music and fun moves are essential and I continue to love all the happy kindergarten projects.  Although now I post a learning target next to the bulletin board or next to the recipe as we make pumpkin pie.  This has been a huge change since I taught full time.  Everything needs to be linked to reading, writing or math.  That doesn't mean I am not going to have my students decorate gingerbread men.  It just means, I am going to take it further and have students write about their masterpiece!  I also love to see growth!  I get excited when students who enter school not knowing a letter or sound, not knowing how to write their name begin to sound out words and write sentences. Yeah!

It has been difficult juggling work, home and family.  Long staff meetings, rushing to musical performances, class parties, homework, dinner, reading bed time stories, planning for school, cleaning, grocery shopping, making lunches for the next day...the list goes on and on.  I asked my sister how she does it.  She replied, "Practice".  I guess everything takes practice.

So why juggle 3 balls, when you can try 4?  I thought why not have a craft night?  I can't really remember the last time I crafted, it has been that long.  I enjoy making things and hanging out with fun people and this would be the perfect excuse.

Craft Night, Saturday December 14, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.  Please let me know by Dec. 8 9 p.m. if you are interested and what you would like to make.  Let's get crafty!

Here are the craft choices:

#1- ornament blocks (I love these!)  We have made these before, but can you ever get enough wood blocks? $2 each as seen on How Does She. (includes wood block, metal hook, paper, ribbon) Feel free to bring paper of your choice.



#2- Initial Ornament - $4 (includes wooden letter, metal hook, personalized name and year, twine or ribbon)
 I led this craft at MOPS a couple years back and it was a hit.  This can be found on Two Peas in a Bucket.



#3- 6" x 6" Tiles - $5 (includes tile & vinyl)  Please specify what color tile, what color vinyl and the picture.
These are designed and made by Say Anything Expressions.




#4-  4" X 24" Days Until sign - $12 (includes board, vinyl, chalkboard paint) similar to the board seen here  Craftiness is not Optional.



#5-  4" X 24"  Eat, Drink & Be Merry - $12 (includes board, vinyl, red paint) similar to board seen here on Signs by Andrea.




I know it's very short notice, please let me know by Sunday night (Dec. 8) if you are able to join in the fun and what you would like to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment